When you grow chillies that only really produce over summer you need to preserve as many as you can for the winter and pickling is a great way to do it. It is quick and easy as it requires no cooking due to the fact the acidity of the vinegar keeps any bacteria at bay. Rather than just using straight white vinegar I decided to mix it up and I used 4 different types of vinegar but you can use what ever type you like just ensure it has a good acidity level of 5 or less. This is what I used
- Malt Vinegar
- White Wine
The method is pretty straight forward too:
- Remove chilli stems and wash them in water with a few drops of dish-washing liquid then rinse.
- Slice the chillies up how ever you want
- Place chillies in clean jars with a sealable lid
- Add any extra ingredients such as salt, pepper or a pickling mix.
- Pour over your selected vinegar.
- Allow to sit for several months to infuse the flavour.
If any of your jars look to grow mold or turn slimy then dispose of them and do not consume.